The SHI Group will endeavor to reduce environmental impacts across its entire operations, including the whole life cycle of its products, based on the Sustainability Basic Policy, recognizing that conservation of the global environment and climate action are one of the priority issues in efforts toward achieving a sustainable society.
SHI Group Environmental Policy
In December 2021, the SHI Group revised “SHI Group Environmental Policy” with the aim of further reducing the environmental impact of all business activities, including the entire product lifecycle, in order to respond to environmental issues such as climate change, which has become a pressing challenge.
- 1The SHI Group will work to conserve the global environment and endeavor to prevent environmental pollution.
- 2The SHI Group will strive to reduce environmental impacts through efforts such as reducing carbon dioxide emissions and waste, reusing and recycling resources, and using energy more efficiently, and work toward achieving a decarbonized and circular society.
- 3The SHI Group will work to address impacts of its operations on nature and ecosystems and conserve biodiversity.
- 4The SHI Group will strengthen its environmental management structure and continue to operate and improve its environmental management system.
- 5The SHI Group will not only comply with environmental laws and regulations but will also establish and apply voluntary standards to assess its environmental performance as needed.
- 6The SHI Group will work to raise environmental awareness of everyone involved in its operations through continuous environmental education and awareness programs.
- 7The SHI Group will share with and communicate and disclose to all stakeholders this Environmental Policy.
Promotion of Environmental Management
We are committed to environmental management by formulating a Medium-Term Environmental Plan that outlines specific activity targets every three years from FY2005.
Environmental Management Structure
The management of SHI Group-wide environmental activities is implemented by the General Manager of the General Administration Division and the Environmental Management Division under the supervision of the officer in charge of General Administration appointed by the President. As the person with ultimate responsibility, the President approves and determines the SHI Group's environmental policy.
For management at each manufacturing site, including affiliated companies, environmental audits are conducted in conjunction with local status checks, and activity results are reported and problems are shared at environmental management meetings. In addition, through environmental education, we inform our employees of the Group's environmental policy, environmental targets, and approaches.
- Environmental audit (once/year)
- We conduct audits of overall environmental management at our manufacturing sites in Japan, China, and Southeast Asia from the perspectives of environmental accident prevention, legal compliance, and global warming prevention.
Audit results are evaluated on a five-point scale for each division based on our own evaluation standards, and are reported to the Executive & Operating Officers Meeting for improvement.
- Examination by the General Manager of General Administration Group (as required)
- We conduct "Examination by the General Manager of General Administration Group" together with environmental management audits for divisions that the General Manager considers necessary (divisions where environmental accidents occurred in the previous year, divisions where environmental targets were significantly underachieved, etc.), and instruct them.
- Environmental management meeting (twice/year)
- We held "Environmental Management Meeting" for each manufacturing sites and affiliated companies in Japan to report the results of our approaches and share problems. We also held the "China Environmental Management Meeting" for our affiliates in China to improve the level of environmental approaches at each company.
Approaches based on the Environmental Policy
A Medium-Term Environmental Plan that outlines specific activity targets is formulated every three years from FY2005 to enhance environmental management.
The 6th Medium-Term Environmental Plan
Currently, we have formulated and are promoting the 6th Medium-Term Environmental Plan (FY2020-2023).
In the 6th Medium-Term Environmental Plan, we have identified the following four items as material issues and have set targets for each of them to be achieved by 2023. We have also set single-year goals to achieve these targets and are monitoring progress.
- 1Enhancement of environmental risk management
- 2Reduction of CO2 emissions with actions addressing climate change taken into consideration
- 3Reduction of environmental loads in business activities
- 4Preservation of biodiversity
|Index||Item||Target for FY2021||FY2021 results||Achievement status|
|Number of serious environmental accidents||0||0||〇|
|Number of environmental accidents||3 or less||5||×|
|Response to climate change||CO2 emissions||Total amount||Japan: Reduction of 2% (compared to FY2019)||3.5% reduction||〇|
|Energy productivity (during production)||Japan: Increase of 2% (compared to FY2019)||2.8% increase||〇|
|Overseas: Increase of 2% (compared to FY2019)||4.1% increase||〇|
|Green logistics (during transportation)||Japan: Same level (compared to FY2019)||0.9% reduction||〇|
|Sustainability Plus Products||Number of products||23 models||25 models||〇|
|Percentage of sales||more than 26%||32%||×|
|Waste generated (basic unit)||Japan: Same level (compared to FY2017-2019 average)||11.8% reduction||〇|
|Overseas: Reduction of 1% (compared to FY2019)||5.1% reduction||〇|
|Zero emissions landfill rate||Japan: Less than 0.5%||0.1%||〇|
|Product packaging material consumption (basic unit)||Japan: Same level (compared to FY2017-2019 average)||2.8% reduction||〇|
|Water consumption||Japan: Same level (compared to FY2017-2019 average)||1.5% reduction||〇|
|Water consumption (basic unit)||Overseas: Same level (compared to FY2019)||8.6% reduction||〇|
|VOC||Japan: Same level (compared to FY2019)||12.2% reduction||〇|
|VOC (basic unit)||Japan: Same level (compared to FY2019)||16.9% reduction||〇|
SHI Group will strive to contribute to environmental conservation and to develop a sustainable society together with business partners through promotion of green procurement so as to be able to deliver environment-conscious products to customers. To this end, the SHI Group will procure goods and services that are useful for global warming prevention, the promotion of resource saving and recycling, and the prevention of environmental pollution, from business partners that, just like SHI, work on reducing environmental loads and conserving the environment.
Green Procurement Guidelines
The Green Procurement Guidelines specifically define the environmental consideration described in the CSR Procurement Guidelines. The Green Procurement Guidelines have been distributed to SHI Group divisions and affiliated companies and are utilized for selecting goods/services to be procured by the SHI Group.